Many of our cosmetic and household products contain harmful ingredients (toxic chemicals, fluoride, aluminium, parabens, palm oil,…) linked to some diseases (e.g. allergies, breast cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, birth defects, organ toxicity…), use animal testing and are bad for the environment. The company “Lush” for example is a good alternative if you do not want to do it yourself. Instead of coconut oil you can also use another oil.
- 5 tbsp. Organic coconut oil (antibacterial)
- 1 tbsp. Baking Soda (not baking powder): neutralizes the sour smell of sweat. Leave out the baking soda if you get an irritation and use freshly ground salt (preferably unrefined) instead
- 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil (e.g. patchouli, rosemary, lavender, bergamot, tea tree)
- Preparation: Melt the coconut oil, put it in a waterproof glass jar and mix everything together. Stir it again before using it the first time. If not the baking soda will stay at the bottom. If you are living somewhere where the room temperature is over 23-26 °C the coconut oil is liquid and you need to stir it every time before using
- 4 tbsp. Organic coconut oil (antibacterial)
- 2 tbsp. Baking Soda (not baking powder)
- 10-15 drops of mint essential oil
- (optional if too salty: stevia)
- Preparation: see deodorant
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Lemon juice
- 3-10 drops of your favorite essential oil
- Fill a bucket with warm water. Put all the ingredients plus the clothes inside and knead them. Let them in the water for a few hours. Rinse the clothes and dry them in the sun or air-dry.
Make your own clothes
- Easier than you might think and if you choose high quality fabric you can keep it for years.
- Dyeing: E.g. Batik. Check YouTube for inspiration
Dry hands or body
- Mix oil and salt together. Massage in and wash it off with warm water.