Normally I don’t sunburn very easily. But I did recently. I read that aloe vera gel helps. It is a plant. So I tried it. On one part of my arm I didn’t put any aloe vera. This part was still red the next morning. The rest where I put aloe vera looked much better and not red anymore.
Aloe vera is a great, easy, and cheap natural remedy for a sunburn. Overexposure to the sun can lead to serious long-term skin problems. That’s why it is very important to immediately treat sunburns.
How Does Aloe Vera Help Sunburn
The gel contains a lot of vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and active enzymes which contribute to the healing process.
- relieves pain and inflammation
- prevents swelling
- helps repair damaged skin cells and trigger the formation of new ones
- antibacterial, strengthens the immune system
- forms a protective layer over burned and peeling skin, hydrating it and holding moisture in
- contains no oils or other elements that clog pores
How to Use Aloe Vera to Treat Sunburn
- Whenever possible, use fresh gel squeezed directly from the aloe vera leaf.
- Refrigerate aloe vera before use for extra cooling effect.
- Cut the aloe vera leaf open. scoop out the gel. Mash it. Apply the gel to sunburned skin with your fingers. Leave on until dry. If it starts to feel sticky, rinse it off with cool water. Repeat 2-3 times a day. Keep the rest of the leave at a shady place.
- If you experience rashes, stinging, or itching, you may be having an allergic reaction. Stop using it immediately.
- If your burns do not show signs of healing within 4 days, consult a doctor.
- If you don’t have a fresh leave choose an aloe vera product that doesn’t contain alcohol as it irritates the burn.