A roasted red pepper dip with walnuts, pistachio and pomegranate molasses from the Middle East. Sweet, sour, smoky and a little bit spicy.
Ingredients (280 g):
- 2 red bell peppers
- 50 g raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 20 g pistachios
- 2-3 TBSP (45 ml) pomegranate molasses
- 3 TBSP bread crumbs
- 1 TSP lemon juice
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 3/4 TSP chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 TSP ground cumin
Garnish: chopped pistachios, pomegranate molasses
- Roast the whole bell peppers on a baking sheet in the preheated oven (230 °C) for 20-25 minutes or until blackened on the outside. Let them cool down. Then peel away the core, seeds, and the black skin.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor. A little texture is nice in this dip instead of a purée.
- Taste and adjust flavour as needed.
Serve with fresh pita, lettuce leaves, use as a spread on sandwiches, crackers, or vegetables of choice! Best when fresh. Store leftovers covered in the fridge up to 3 days. Let come to room temperature before enjoying.
Make your own bread crumbs: Put some bread slices on an additional baking sheet while you roast the bell peppers. Take out when hard. Let the slices cool down. Then grate them to bread crumbs.
Make you own pomegranate molasses: Heat 200 ml pomegranate juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until it reaches a low boil. Then reduce the heat to a steady simmer and cook until syrup-like (around 20-30 minutes). Set aside to cool.
Nut-free: Sunflower seeds instead of walnuts and pistachios.