Ajvar is a delicious roasted bell pepper and eggplant spread that we discovered with delight on our trip in Southeast Europe. Grocery stores have countless varieties. The best Ajvar we ate in a family in Bosnia-Herzegovina. It is sweet, sour, salty, and can be made spicy.
Ingredients (4 people)
- 3 large red bell peppers
- ½ eggplant (optional)
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP herb vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 TL date caramel or coconut blossom sugar
- 3-5 whole chillis
- 1 TSP salt
- Pepper to taste
- Bake the red peppers and eggplant at 200°C circulating air (392°F) for 25 mins.
- Blend all ingredients (except the water from the bell peppers) in a food processor until you have the desired consistency.
- Stored in the fridge in an airtight container, Ajvar will last for several weeks.
Pingback: Ajvar: The vegan 'caviar' of the Balkans – BBC.com – TheBeeings
Pingback: Ajvar: The vegan 'caviar' of the Balkans - Coventryecho