Those energy balls are great as a snack. Since they are high in fat they satisfy for a longer time. I also use this recipe to make a (raw) cake base. If you can’t find Medjool dates, use maple syrup. Other dates are not as sticky. Use sunflower seeds or tahini (sesame paste) if you have any nut allergy.
Ingredients (For 200 g):
- 4 Medjool dates
- 3 TBSP unsweetened cacao powder
- 50 g nuts
- 2 TBSP nut butter
- 2 TBSP ground flaxseed
- A pinch of salt
- 1/8 TSP pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Desiccated coconut (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a small blender until the nuts are ground, but not nut butter yet.
- Put the mixture in the fridge for 10 minutes to make it less sticky.
- Roll the mixture with your hands into small balls. After, roll them into cacao powder or desiccated coconut flakes.
- Put them in the fridge for 1-2 hours. They taste best when eaten at room temperature.
- Add cacao nibs and / or desiccated coconut flakes in the mixture. If it is too dry, add more nut butter.
- Leave out the cacao powder and the coating. Since it will be less bitter only use three instead of four Medjool dates.
- Use other dried fruits like apricots, figs or raisins. If it is less sticky, add more nut butter.
- Add another spice than vanilla (cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, matcha powder).